New Jersey Slate Roofing Specialists
Slate roofing has a classic and beautiful look to it, but it requires contractors with advanced skills. With that being said, don’t just hire anyone to do this job, make sure you give our team at Liberty Roofing a call to ensure that you get the best of the best to install slate. Slate roofing is generally known as very high quality and one of the longest lasting roof options in today’s market. However, it’s not for everyone considering the difficult installation, higher cost, and it being slightly more fragile than other roofing materials.
In order for you to understand the process and how much it will cost, your trusted New Jersey Roofing Contractor will offer you a free installation/repair estimate to ensure you are making the investment you really want. We will explore a few options and take a look and both the pros and cons of this style and what exactly to expect.
Pros of Slate Roofing
There are some huge positives to slate roofing tile, generally because it has a certain beautiful and unique appearance. The natural stone product and reasonable longevity are a few other reasons why this roofing is so famous. Compiled below are the top reasons that homeowners have chosen slate roofing:
- Appearance: This is easily one of the top benefits of slate- homeowners are naturally attracted to its beauty. Another great benefit is that slate or more customizable than other roofing- you can choose a certain thickness and size, as well as choose from an assortment of different colors including red, black, purple, green, gray, and mottled tiles that have a mix of different colors.
- Longevity: With proper installation, slate roofs are built to last roughly a century. Most often, slate roofs last nearly 150 years on average. This is a huge benefit considering that many roofs currently in the market last only 20-30 years before needing replacement.
- Fire resistance: One of the most fireproof roofs that exist is slate tile. With slate being completely fire resistant, it has advantages of being a safer option against wildfires, airborne sparks like fireworks, or adjacent house fires.
There are many positive aspects of slate roofing, but it is important to weigh in the negatives as well in order to make the correct choice based on your needs.
Cons of Slate Roofing
Other than the higher cost of installing slate roofing, there are a few negatives aspects to this style that homeowners should be aware of before making a decision.
- Poor installation: This is why if you choose slate roofing, it should be through us. Liberty Roofing is highly skilled at repairing and installing slate roofing, and our professionals have a lot of experience. A vast majority of roofing contractors will claim they know how to work with slate even if they have little experience. This will lead to problems happening sooner rather than later.
- Weight: Slate roofing is definitely a heavier option of roofing material. Every 100 square feet can range between 800 to 1,500 pounds. In order to make sure your home can handle the weight, you’ll have to have the structure of your place evaluated.
- Durability: A big negative for homeowners can be that slate roofing is significantly more fragile than other roofing styles. This means that if anything happens such as a tree branch landing on it or someone repairing the A/C on your rooftop, tiles can break and fall down. Replacing broken tiles is a bit more complicated- finding correct color matches can be impossible since slate comes in lots.
Weighing the pros and cons of slate roofing can be a difficult task, but we are here to make this process as stress-free as possible. One of our skilled professionals discuss the pros and cons with you in person and give you a free estimate of the total cost.